Clash of Clans is a popular iPad/iPhone/iPod/Android game created by “Supercell”. It has been available internationally on the iTunes store for free since its initial v1.7 release on 2 August 2012, and on the Google Play Store since 8 October 2013. Clash of Clans is a strategy game where players can construct and expand one’s village, unlock successively more powerful warriors and defenses, raid and pillage resources from other villages, create and join Clans and much, much more.
Although Clash of Clans is Free-to-Play, additional in-game currency can be purchased for real money from the Apple App Store/Google Play Store in the form of In-App Purchases. However, all features of the game are open to players who choose not to make In-App Purchases. Clash of Clans is available on iOS and Android devices!
Clash of Clans is an online multiplayer game in which players build a community, train troops, and attack other players to earn gold and elixir, which can then be used to build defenses so as to protect the player against other players attacking them. The game also features a pseudo-single player campaign in which the player must attack a series of progressively more heavily-fortified goblin villages.
- Troops are divided into Tier 1, Tier 2, Tier 3, Dark Elixir Troops, and Heroes.
- Tier #1 – Consists of Barbarians, Archers, and Goblins.
- Tier #2 – Consists of Giants, Wall Breakers (skeletons that carry bombs), Balloons (Wall Breakers in hot air balloons that drop bombs), and Wizards.
- Tier #3 – Consists of Dragons, Healers, and P.E.K.K.A.s (a race heavily-armored sword wielding mechas).
- Dark Elixir Troops – Consists of Minions (which resemble flying imps), Hog Riders, Valkyries, Golems, Witches and Lava Hounds.
- Heroes – Consists of the Barbarian King and the Archer Queen. Heroes are immortal and can only be trained once. They are summoned by an altar rather than being trained in the barracks like the other troops.
To earn and store gold and elixir, players must build gold mines and gold storage and elixir collectors and elixir storage, respectively. Elixir is used to train new troops, carry out research in the laboratory to upgrade troops and to build certain buildings. Gold is used to build defensive buildings and to upgrade the town hall, which allows access to more buildings and higher levels for existing buildings.
There are a number of buildings available to the player to defend their community, including cannons, mortars, bombs, archer towers, and wizard towers. Players can also build walls, which can be upgraded as they increase in level.
A major component of the gameplay of Clash of Clans is clans facing off against one another. Clan leaders and co-leaders can begin wars against other clans. Each clan is then given one “preparation day” and one “war day.” When a player attacks a member of the opposing clan, they receive stars based upon the amount of destruction they cause to the opponent’s community. Each player is limited to two attacks per war, and the team with the most stars at the end of the war day is declared victorious, with players receiving bonus war loot if he/she use their attacks in the war and a one more war win record in the clan description.
Aside from gold and elixir, the game also uses gems as a currency. Gems can be awarded for reaching certain milestones and completing certain achievements, but the main way to acquire gems is to purchase them using real world money. Gems can be used to speed up every aspect of the game; from construction time, to troop training to lab research. They can also be used to purchase more gold and elixir.